We have presented forums on topical issues with the intent of showing the nexus between our faith and our communities. Here are a few examples:
- “For the Sake of the Children,” co-producer Marlene Shigekawa’s documentary on the impact of the Japanese Internment on subsequent generations.
- Immigration Reform Forum, co-presented with UCLA Wesley Foundation and Korean Immigrant Workers Alliance.
- “Two Spirits, One Heart: A Mother, Her Transgender Son, and Their Journey to Love and Acceptance,” with speakers Marsha Aizumi and Aiden Aizumi.
- “Saving the Environment: A Spiritual Perspective” presentation in conjunction with the LA River Walk.
- “Jobs Not Jail”, a presentation by Father Greg Boyle, founder of Homeboy Industries.
PATH (People Assisting the Homeless, Inc)
We involve various groups and individuals in the church to prepare dinner for the veterans living in the West Los Angeles PATH shelter. The residents are receive temporarily housing at PATH while starting jobs and organizing their new lives.
Fair Trade Products Sales
We organize periodic sales of organically grown fair traded coffee, tea, chocolate, and other products. Through the sales we are seeking to financially assist the small farm cooperatives in Latin America, Africa and Asia as well as the US. We also seek to educate our congregation of these economic development and environmental issues.
We are responsible for raising annual funds to support a United Methodist Missionary in Kobe, Japan. Rev. Claudia Genung Yamamoto is engaged in working with lower income population in the 100 year old mission established by the legendary Toyohiko Kagawa.
Environmental awareness and action is central to our Christian mission. We work with members of the church to encourage the conscious recycling at home as well as at church. Activities include on site collection of paper, plastic, bottles and aluminum as well as batteries, small electronics and printer cartridges.
Ralph’s Community Contribution Card
West LA UMC participates in Ralph’s Community Contribution Program. Members and friends register their Ralph’s cards on-line each year, beginning September 1. A percentage of all Ralph’s purchases are donated to the church, providing funds for guest speakers and special programs. It is simple to register using the church’s scan-bar and your Ralph’s card. Remember, this is a community service provided by Ralph’s at no cost to participants!